The video, which was shared with Turkey’s operation in northern Syria, allegedly shows 400 thousand people emigrating, is not true.
“Turkey’s attacks are forcing 400 thousand people, more than 150 thousand children, to flee in northern Syria,” a video was shared on the Facebook account of the ZDF channel, which broadcasts in Germany. The video, shared on 23 December 2019, has been liked by 935 people and received 675 comments, features interviews with children who are allegedly in difficulty due to Turkey’s operation.
TRT World correspondent Yunus Paksoy, when Bild newspaper asked the source of these images ZDF editors removed the video from their pages, he said and referred Julian Röpcke’s sharing.
Röpcke also have quoted Bild reporter Mo Rabie’s sharing about the wrong video. Röpcke posted images of the children in the video released by ZDF, revealing that they had been taken from Unicef’s website. Röpcke stated that UNICEF’s video was used for fake news, adding that civilians had left their homes because of an attack by Russia, not Turkey.
Mo Rabie reacted to the ZDF channel by sharing visuals and text of his interview with children living in the camp in Idlib.
Our research shows that the information revealed by Bild reporters is correct. The video, by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), says the children are Syrians displaced by Russia and regime attacks in Idlib. It is understood that the children who ZDF used the footage were children speaking in this video.
The ZDF channel appears to have removed its share on Facebook over the question and incoming reactions from Bild reporters.
According to the results of our fact check, it is understood that the civilians in the video, which ZDF allegedly used to have 400 thousand civilians left their homes because of Turkey’s operation, were civilians fleeing attacks by Russia and the Assad regime in Idlib.
– Screenshots of the ZDF channel’s Facebook Share
– Sharing of TRT World correspondent Yunus Paksoy
•Alman devlet kanalı ZDF, “Türkler Kürtleri vuruyor, 400.000 kişi kaçıyor” diye paylaştığı videoda aslında İdlibli çocukları kullanıyor
•Bild gazetesi sorunca da videoyu siliyor https://t.co/oBa4xQkqtF
— Yunus Paksoy (@yunuspaksoy) December 23, 2019
– Bild newspaper reporter Mo Rabie’s Twitter Share
Nach @BILD Anfrage: @ZDFheute löscht einen Video-Beitrag über Nord-Syrien. In dem Beitrag hat das ZDF die Aussagen der Kinder so dargestellt, als wären sie vor Erdogans Angriffen geflohen – Die Wahrheit ist aber: Die Kinder sind vor #Assads und #Putins Bomben auf #Idlib geflohen! pic.twitter.com/HyaLZLZNUq
— Mo Rabie (@Mo19Rabie) December 23, 2019
– Twitter sharing of Bild newspaper reporter Julian Röpcke
Unfassbare Propaganda für #AssadPutin im @ZDF.@ZDFheute hat die Flüchtlingswelle in #Idlib der Türkei in die Schuhe geschoben & das sogar mit verfälschten Interviews mit Flüchtlingskindern untermauert.
Mittlerweile sind die Lügen gelöscht, aber das Netz – & wir -vergessen nicht. pic.twitter.com/RpvYCvHVGu
— Julian Röpcke (@JulianRoepcke) December 23, 2019
– Video on UNICEF’s website